Saturday, September 1, 2012

Power of Prayer

Praying in Brazil with High Schoolers.
Years ago I led a life group study on the Prayer of Jabez. It was a popular book at the time by Bruce Wilkinson based on a little prayer in the book of 1 Chron. 4:10 by a man named Jabez. The premise is that he asked God to enlarge his territory. I did not want to pray this prayer lightly. When and if I prayed this (I wasn't sure I even wanted to at the time) it was going to be with meaning for something that I knew God was calling me too. Three-quarters of the way through the study I attended a meeting with a friend. The speaker was a known child evangelist and I remember being very powerfully prayed over by the children that were in attendance.  When I got home I knew it was time to pray the prayer of Jabez. I literally put my hands on the world map that I had in my bedroom and with many tears I asked God to enlarge my territory. Fast forward several years and I look back on that prayer with amazement. I have literally traveled the world interviewing and encouraging children in places I never even dreamed of going to from Madagascar to Nepal, Niger to Colombia and many more places in-between (And I have a feeling I am not done yet). My territory was stretched way beyond my wildest imagination. I am glad I prayed that prayer but I am also glad that I waited until I knew what direction to send it. God wants to answer our prayers especially when they involve joining him in his work.

I am reading another book these days called the Circle Maker by Mark Batterson about praying circles around your dreams. Again I am reminded that this isn't like making a wish but rather waiting on God to reveal his promises and praying it to fruition. I need quite a few miracles in several areas and I have asked God for new dreams. Dreams that go beyond the territory that God has already taken me. God-sized dreams that only He can bring about. As I enter another year I expect many new things to begin through prayer.

No comments: